Thursday, January 06, 2011
The Pirate Queen
The Pirate Queen by Patricia Hickman
Saphora Warren is ready to leave her husband, Bender, when he arrives home midday to tell her he is dying of cancer. Her world is changed overnight as they move to their coastal home at her husband’s insistence. Through their journey both find questions as well as answers about faith and God. The wonderful characters of Tobias and Jamie add flavor to the story line.
One of her grown sons chose nursing as a profession. It is disappointing that the choice is portrayed as not ‘ambitious’ and less than a desirable vocation, although it is represented as the opinion of his father, a plastic surgeon.
The final chapter is a bonus! What fun to see the characters years later and the journey it has taken them. Another charm of the book was the quotes the author used at the beginning of each chapter; often the works of Anne Morrow Lindbergh. These quotes set the stage for the tone what was coming next in the book.
Definitely a recommended read!
Enjoy an excerpt from chapter one.
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Hey - I'm Blogging for Books and chose this book too! I'm only about 1/2 way through. She keeps introducing new characters and I'm having a hard time keeping up, but it's a good read so far.
-Deanna R
Post a Comment