A place of relaxation

A place of relaxation

Friday, May 17, 2013

Book Review

It's been a while since I had time to read and write a book review for something other than school.  This book has been sitting on my shelf for a few months and I finally had time to read it while on break between Spring and Summer classes.
 
Sharon Jaynes speaks to us about experiencing ‘a sudden glory’ in this writing, or as others have called it – ‘a God thing’.  It is those moments when you just know that God is present, speaking to just you.  We need to be open to hearing the words and experiencing the wonder of it in our everyday lives.  As she says, “it is up to us to listen”.  As we think about some of the people in the Bible, they were going about their everyday lives when they heard God speak.  Moses was tending sheep, Gideon was threshing wheat and John was fishing.  We need to be tuned in, if you will, to realize the amazing communication that is possible with God. 
Although portions of the book seem to be repeated throughout, perhaps it works to plant seeds deeper into our thoughts.  At the end of the book are questions that can be helpful in a book study or Bible study group.   There are also a few pages of a Journaling space to get the reader started on writing their own encounters with God.  These are things we can experience every day, but are often not remembered.  A journal will preserve the history so you can go back to remember all the little moments. 
The book is an easy read and recommended for those who want ideas of how to have that continual communication and relationship with God that doesn’t just happen on a Sunday morning sitting in a pew.
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
 

1 comment:

Diane Estrella said...

Thanks for the great review.

BTW--I have 5 giveaways going on at my site this week if you're interested in stopping over. Hope you have a wonderful week!

Diane :)
www.dianeestrella.com