A place of relaxation

A place of relaxation

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Here Burns My Candle

Here Burns My Candle written by Liz Curtis Higgs
If you enjoy historical novels, this one could be for you. It includes a lot of historical details of Scotland in the mid 1700’s. The story is told from the perspective of several characters – Lady Elisabeth Kerr, Lord Donald Kerr and Lady Marjory Kerr, with Lady Elisabeth the central character. Lady Marjory is the mother of Lord Donald and Lady Elisabeth is his wife.
The story is one of love and betrayal and the very human emotions and processing that go along with betrayal. It is a glimpse into the darker, real life side of living in the 18th century where riches were easily lost and life for the poor was very difficult. Even life for the rich was not what we might think. Can you imagine being of substantial wealth, but sharing a six room apartment with six other people? The servants slept in a bunk in the kitchen and the entry hall.

For me, the frequent use of the Scottish language was a distraction. Although lending an essence of connecting the reader to the story locating, it made reading less fluid. I also felt the book ended abruptly without complete resolution for the characters. It was only as I picked up my next book to read (Mine is the Night), that I realized Here Burns My Candle was a prequel. Don’t read Here Burns My Candle without planning to read Mine is the Night or you will be disappointed.

Enjoy an excerpt from the book.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

No comments: